[Adonthell-general] PR work

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] PR work
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:43:25 +0100

Since the release of v0.4 alpha 2 I've spend some time updating our
road map (and associated tasks) with better information (including
some of Ingo's earlier suggestions). But I think it could be improved
even more, maybe with a more detailed mission statement and milestones
with well-defined content.
(I.e. something like "v0.4 alpha 3: large map with NPCs to talk to,
items to pick up, inventory screen" ... and the same for a couple more
alphas.) OTOH, I don't want to restrict the path development takes too
much .. maybe somebody comes along that likes doing combat-related
stuff first, which would completely change the order and priority of
things.

I also tried to update individual tasks to make clear what part of
each task is already accomplished. I would also improve the task list
a little more to indicate what's being worked on, what has priority,
etc. ... maybe making the whole task listing more formal using
multiple columns for task name/description, worked on (j/n), percent
of completion and color coded table cells for the priority.

See http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tasks:Road_Map

Aside from the Wiki work, I've already posted help requests at
* http://happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2473
and
*
http://forum.freegamedev.net/index.php?t=msg&th=777&start=0&S=f1c15184994d6630f727a4c642f3e187

I've also looked for other potential places, where I will post something:
* http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8
*
http://www.gamedev.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b7062de4a7b36f05fcfa10ffc961b362&board=7.0

I won't yet post anything to special artist forums, as I feel we ought
at least have a basic map editor and related tools to show we're
serious.

I was also thinking about other ways to get the word out. I guess our
main website should get a fairly high priority (although I'd rather
not be involved in it's update) and there might be ways to organize
the Wiki a bit more efficiently. (I like the main page of the Fife
Wiki, for example: http://wiki.fifengine.de/).

Then there are several articles about Adonthell, that could perhaps be
improved (again, that's nothing I would want to do.)

* http://libregamewiki.org/Adonthell
* http://swik.net/adonthell/About

But then again, that's more something for end users, not sure if it
will help attract more developers. For the same reason, I haven't done
much about advertising the latest alpha release (except for updating
the freshmeat entry and posting to our own website).

More ideas and suggestions are welcome. Help with PR work even more,
of course :-).

Kai