aleader-dev

[Aleader-dev] Re: direction & feedback

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: [Aleader-dev] Re: direction & feedback
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 12:57:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 12:14:41PM -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
> > I spoke to my dissertation advisor and we might even be able to get a few
> > human subjects officially involved.  Since this is not dissertation research
> > and I am not faculty I'll be lower on the totem pole but hopefully we can
> > get some subjects.
>
> Sound great!  I am eager to hear further details.  Sorry to
> repeat myself again, but do you have any guidance about how
> to make Aleader more palatable to the academic community?  ;-)

sure thing.  actually, as you have probably noticed, i have
utterly given up on trying to treat the conversation as one
nice neat organized thread.  so, on e of the side effects is
that certain questions will get lost.  thus, PLEASE repeat
yourself, early and often.  the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

as for making it more palatable...yes, a coupla points.  one
it needs to be connected to existing literature.  e.g. how does
your theory compare/contrast to the OCC model (ortony clore
and collins)....the more constructivfe attention you give
to others work, the more you will get in return....e.g. ortony and
clore have  apaper, i think it is called "the referential structure of the
affective lexicon" in which they go to great pains to decide
what and what is not in the set of things that we call emotions.
i think you need to address this.  i believe there is a hole in the
literature.  there is a more general class of concepts that should be
called "affective states".  emotions are a focused subclass of these.
ambandoned is a classic affective state which is not an emotion.

you must have articulate a definition of the tokens that are within
aleader and those that are not. clearly the concept dog is outside
of your system.  but what about nausea?  you need clear or classic
positive and negative exemplars of your category and you need to
list some pos and neg exemplars that are near the border.  you may
even articulate some that are at the border -- i.e. ones for which you
are currently agnostic.

here's another way to respond to your question of how to make it more
palatable to wider community... sorry, maybe i am still operating out of
the sixth grade theory of social interaction, but as a friend said, the
academic world is cliquey.  one way to be more acceptable to the clique
is to remove stuff like "o divine mother" and why-compete.com from your
sig.
there is an evangelistic or religious flair to your stuff.  and the
academic world wants to stay with science.  they don't want to explicitly
advocate
buddhism, or any values based philosophy of life...therefore, try to
separate these realms of your existence.   present a pure science net
persona and advocate any philosophy via different channels.  sure, in a
sense these realms are fundamentally inseparable, but if you can
superficially keep them separate, then you will be doing fine.

phil agre, last at ucsd, has a great website on intellectual networking.
if you have trouble finding it lemme know.  i have not read it in at least
a year, but it was worthwhile.

anothering thing about makijng this more palatable to academe...keep
working with me!

> One more thing, Nancy Alvarado

wow.  how did you encounter her?

> suggested that I join Lola
> Canamero's emotion list-serve:
>
>   http://homepages.feis.herts.ac.uk/~comqlc/emotion.html

ah, yes.  god i am such an idiot.  i am only on aaron sloman's list --
much lower traffic. i must subscribe to this!  thanks for the reminder.

> I tried to subscribe but I got rejected.  When I asked why, I never
> got a reply.  S

hmm...weird.  could be the cliqueshness of academe or it could be
just that she is busy and writing such an email is delicate and difficult
and invites only more trouble.

> ince you presented at a conference chaired by
> Lola Canamero (AAAI Fall Symposium), you must be "in the know."
> Is this list only open to [fill-in-the-blank]?

i dunno.  i am not in the know but keep after me on subscribing and i'll
see what i find out.

well, i really do have comments on my test run of aleader.  checking out a
laptop for this purpose takes about 30 minutes as did this response, so
even though this seems to be going really slowly i think i am sticking to
my original commitment of about 30 min per day of work.  and that's
better than a lot of other of my projects are getting.

bill