aleona-devel

Re: [Aleona-devel] Characters

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: [Aleona-devel] Characters
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 22:21:17 +0200

Eric Svärd <address@hidden> writes:

> Is this the kind of character/animation-sprites you would like to
> have? http://w1.111.telia.com/~u11130178/transformer.avi (DivX4,
> 475kb)

Yep, thats exactly what we need.

> If that's the case I would be glad to help. I'm not sure if I'd make
> characters like this very fast since 3d modelling/texturing/
> animation is very hard and time-consuming.

Since the final sprite in the game will be no larger than 64x64
pixels, we don't need much details or textures, a simple solid-colored
mesh should do most of the time and recycling the walk-cycle/bones for
other units types should also be possible, so I hope that that will
speed up the development a bit.

For buttons and other detail-views on the characters we will most
likly use normal 2d drawn stuff, so modeling a detailed face shouldn't
be needed.

> I tried to do a character that looked like the Transformer character
> on the site. Comments on the style/colors.

Color and style mach pretty good what I had in mind as I drew the
sketch, very nice work.

For the final game sprites we probally need thicker arms and legs,
etc, since with real-life proportions we will end up with a one
pixel-thick arm in the final small gamesprite. A picture which shows
what I mean is probally this one (just a random google-images
picture):

 * http://www.hedweb.com/human.gif

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden