apps-gnustep

Re: MusicBox-0.2.9

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: MusicBox-0.2.9
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:32:50 +0200

On 2002-10-09 12:13:43 -0400 Yen-Ju Chen <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I think we have some conclusion right now:
>
> 1. Mixer should be a stand-alone application.
>     That's easy, and I have one already.
>     But I also want MusicBox can have a little slider bar
>     to control the volume from MusicBox directly.
>     Therefore, the Mixer will be splitted into
>     a Mixer.bundle and a Mixer.app, which uses Mixer.bundle.
>     So MusicBox can access the mixer, too.
>     (Anyone need Mixer.pref ?)
Sound good to me. I don't think we need mixer.pref. Depends a bit on what's to
be configured for the mixer, but probably no.

> 2. cddb will be Cddb.bundle and Cddb.pref.
>     So there is a global cddb setting in Preference.app.
>     The only problem left for cddb.bundle
>     is what's the interface for this cddb.bundle ?
>     You must feed cddb.bundle with the CD information.
>     Right now, my freedb classes need the number of total tracks,
>     the length of each track, and the offset of each track.
>     So I think an array of dictionary should be enough,
>     and the keys for dictionary are just "length" and "offset".
>     The count of array is the number of total tracks.
>     Is this information (length and offset) available in Encod and GSburn ?
>     By the way, the freedb classes I have right now use
>     blocking I/O for network.
>     I'll try to make it non-blocking and notify in the future.
>     So beware that it will block your application when access cddb site.
OK. The info should be available in both apps. Stéphane already has cddb
support and I can at least calculate a cd's id. Thus we have what you need :-)
Blocking is fine with me, as long as there is a timeout telling me (the user)
that the connection failed. When I want to have cddb data I can't/won't proceed
anyway and blocking will spare me the efforts to make GSburn wait.

>     Any comment on these two points ?
>     We can discuss others functions later.

Yeah. Later is a good idea ;-)

Cheers,