aspell-devel

[aspell-devel] Piped mode in Windows

From: Robert Walker
Subject: [aspell-devel] Piped mode in Windows
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:23:03 +0100

HI there,

I'm working on a windows program that uses Aspell in piped mode.

It runs Aspell in the background (optionally invisibly)
and user interacts via a gui with buttons etc and the current
word gets highlighted as the search proceeds.

Have a couple of suggestions and bug reports.

Suggestions:

%%q = quit from Aspell - so I don't need to terminate it (dll may remain
loaded after abnormal exit).

Idea:
^^ = Spell check rest of line as far as first word not in the dictionary
and return results for that word only.

This is to save time if one wants to skip through to the next mis-spelled word
in one go.

Some users may type 0 (numeral) instead of O (letter). Also, 1 (numeral)
instead of
l (letter) or I (letter). So could be nice to have option you can switch on to
ignore those distinctions in Aspell. For instance I often type word as w0rd.

Bug reports:

If you enter the commands to ignore case or accents in piped mode then in
Windows
at least, it exits immediately with abnormal program termination.

The web page for my Aspell Gui program is at:

http://www.tunesmithy.co.uk/TextFieldEcho/index.htm

if you want to give it a try :-) (Shareware / Freeware)

Robert Walker