aspell-devel

Re: [aspell-devel] Piped mode in Windows

From: Christoph Hintermüller
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Piped mode in Windows
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:05:31 +0200

Hi Robert
Am Dienstag, 26. August 2003 16:50 schrieben Sie:
[...]

> In fact all the changes are done within a windows "RichEdit20A"
> class - and I'm not responsible for programming that. It will
> notify the calling program when text is updated but not such
> details as which paragraph got changed in the most recent change.
> The things you suggest could be done, in principle, but it would require
> loads of extra programming and would be an unusual approach in this
> particular environment.

But if your program only gets noticed that the text has changed than
either you should restart spellchecking from the beginning or abbort it at
all. If this is not acceptable than you should user make explicitly invoke
spellchecking and avoid him to change text without notice from spell
checker. If this is not acceptable either consider using and linking
libaspell directly instead of aspell itselve. Aspell the program not
libaspell is primarily designed to offline spellchecking while in
connection of libaspell aspell is based on one could code a online version
too. With libaspell it is possible to call spellchecer for each word
(splitting done by calling aplication) and sugestion displaying only uppon
demmand. But to do so as stated a lot of times you have to interface
libaspell and link your program it directly using the c interface.

> I understand that you will have a different perspective for
> a command line type environment -
> but my users are going to be mainly used to working with text
> interactively in this fashion as you do in MS Word in fact, and I
> am writing a program that works in the same fashion.

Use libaspell instead, link your program with it (if necessary statically)
and do textsplitting by your own (libaspell afaik doesn't provide it).
> I prefer to use Aspell in piped mode rather than call the library
> because then I don't need to make any changes in the code if anything
> changes in the SDK - and user can just re-download Aspell if they
> want the latest version.

Hm if sdk changes youl will have to recompile program if you like or not
and for simply changing the aspell version use dynamic linking instead of
static than user may upgrade to newer minor version without recompiling
your program. If major version changes ou will have to test if your
program still compiles links and runs or if interface changes affect your
program too.
> It also means I don't need to include the
> library with my program, so can reduce download size - then
> Aspell is an optional feature, users can install the program first,
> decide they like it, and then install Aspell in order
> to be able to spell check the documents. User just needs
> to install Aspell and then my program gets the location from
> the registry and can immediately spell check the documents
> so it all works really smoothly and is maintainance free.
> So I prefer not to change that unless I really really have
> to.

Hm are you familiar with loadable object under windows. Means loading
dll's on demmand instead of linking your program with them? Than you could
check if aspell is installed and make your programm using it if it is and
ignore spellchecking if not available.
> It works just fine in piped mode.
>
> Thanks - I just tried out the interactive mode (needed
> to move Aspell to a folder with no spaces in the path
> to get it to work).
>
> Yes x for exit works fine there. But it doesn't in piped mode
> using $$x.
*Nirg* Piped mode
A pipe is a big never ending file excep someone writes the end of file
symbol to it. So try to send `<strg>d' (without the quotes ) to aspell via
the pipe this should be make aspell think that it has reached the end of
your never ending file  right now and it will terminate.
In literature  `<strg>d' is allso expressed as `<ctrl>d' or `^d'
Hope you understand what i mean.

> Anyway as I said, fine as it is and it is a great thing to have
> - but if at some point during your programming you saw an easy way
> to do those enhancements it would be a great help :-).

The aspell program it selve as libaspell was designed and coded by Kevin
Atkinson the maintainer, me rightnow is responsible for the upkomming
loadable filterinterface and the windowsport is  Thorsten Maerz is
responsible for.
As kevin right now is quite busy doin his master it will take some time
untill it will be possible to discuss your request (will be low priority).
By the way would you mind havin a look at the sourceforge project page of
aspell and drop a feature request there if not allready there (just fo us
to rember)
cu
Christoph
ps.: would you mind removing all parts of qoted messages you not directly
answer, shorten those beein answered if necessary and add your answers
questions and sugestions directly to those parts of message you are
answering instead of placing your answer on top and quoting on bottom
(called tofu in german). Or do you answer written letters by sending a
copy of the letter you answer back to sender too. (just a hint)
--
It doesn't matter what you are
it matters that you are yourself