[Aspell-user] aspell 0.50.3/Win32/Emacs (patch to make it work)

From: Christopher J. Madsen
Subject: [Aspell-user] aspell 0.50.3/Win32/Emacs (patch to make it work)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:46:18 -0600 (CST)

I finally got time to try getting aspell to work in Emacs 21.2.1 on
Windows 2000.  Unfortunately, after I installed the Win32 port of
aspell and followed the directions for setting Emacs to use it, Emacs
would just hang when I tried to spell-check a buffer.

I determined that the problem was what Alexander Saveliev reported:
aspell doesn't output the CR properly after it outputs a line.  After
looking at the code, I decided it was probably a buffering issue, so I
made the following change:

*** aspell-0.50.3/common/fstream.cpp    Wed Sep 18 07:36:15 2002
--- aspell-0.50.3/common/fstream.cpp    Thu Dec 19 20:10:25 2002
***************
*** 72,77 ****
--- 72,78 ----
    FStream & FStream::operator<< (ParmString str)
    {
      fputs(str, file_);
+     if (strchr(str, '\n')) fflush(file_);
      return *this;
    }

Then I recompiled it (using the instructions for compiling with MinGW
GCC), and everything seems to be working!  I did not try linking with
curses, since I only use aspell from Emacs, and thus have no use for
curses support.

I'm also using the ispell.el version 3.5 from

  http://kdstevens.com/~stevens/ispell-page.html

but I don't think that was really necessary (the one that comes with
Emacs should work).

There's probably a better way to handle this to avoid constantly
flushing files that don't need it, but I just wanted to get it working
quickly.

This message was checked for spelling errors by Emacs 21.2.1 and
aspell 0.50.3 on Windows 2000.

--
Chris Madsen                                            address@hidden