Re: [Aspell-user] can't compile aspell 0.60 under cygwin

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] can't compile aspell 0.60 under cygwin
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:27:24 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Randal Walser wrote:

> >It turns out that libtool needs the -no-undefined flag.  Try running
> >configure with:
> >
> >  ./configure LDFLAGS=-no-undefined ...
> >
> >You will also need to remove the cygwin hack in common/iostream.hpp.
>
> Thanks very much for looking into this.  Unfortunately, the LDFLAGS
> trick isn't working for me, as g++ reports that -no-defined is an
> unrecognized option.  I notice that ld version 2.15.91 (the latest
> from cygwin, which accompanies g++ v. 3.3.3) has a "--no-defined"
> (with a two-dash prefix), but when I try that as LDFLAGS' value, g++
> sees it as "-fno-defined" and then fails.  Somehow, the "--" is
> transliterated to "-f".  I'm not sure if that's happening in your
> configure script, or where, but for the moment I've run out of time to
> investigate further.

"-no-undefined" is a libtool flags not a ld flag.  Libtool should see flag
and change it's behavior.  Perhaps g++ is getting it when static libs are
being created and libtool is not involved.  The next version of Aspell
0.60 passes this flag directly to libtool so you shouldn't have this
problem.  I will upload a snapshot within a couple of days for you to try
out.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org