Re: [Aspell-user] Multithreaded access to aspell 0.60

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Multithreaded access to aspell 0.60
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:34:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Brett Wilson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a multithreaded program that makes calls to
> aspell_speller_check and aspell_speller_suggest.
>
> The documentation says that these read-only functions should be
> thread-safe. But I ran a stress test of continuously hammering both of
> these functions from multiple threads, and both of them appear to have
> some problems. I am quite sure that I am using multithreaded gcc
> libraries.

The documentation is out of date and needs to be updated.  Furthermore
suggest is not readonly since it stores some state information in the
speller class.

> I use different Speller objects for each thread. Could this be an
> issue? Should I only have one global Speller object?

That is the correct thing to do.  If you use a different speller object for
each thread than you should be able to use any of the methods.

If you could file a bug report with some test programs to reproduce the
problem I will look info it.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org