Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell LGPL license

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Aspell LGPL license
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:21:50 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Tierra wrote:

> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Mohammad Samarah wrote:
> >
> > > Does Aspell offer an LGPL style license so that it can be embedded in a
> > > commercial application? Are the dictionaries licensed differently than the
> > > core engine?
> >
> > Aspell in under the LGPL as it clearly says in the manual.
> >
> > Each dictionary is under its own copyright.  The English dictionary is
> > under a much weaker copyright than the LGPL.  Some others or LGPL while
> > many are GPL.  I do not control the copyright of the dictionaries and
> > accept anything which meats the FSF definition of "free".
>
> What I'm getting at, is can I use Aspell with English dictionary in a
> proprietary work? If I can, what notices (copyright and otherwise),
> EULAs, and source do I have to include?

Yes please reread the English dictionary copyright carefully.  I compiled
it from many sources so it retains the copyright of all of them.  You
should probably include the copyright notice as I give it somewhere in
your program.  The Aspell source needs to be made available to those who
request it.  The English dictionary source does not necessarily have to be
included since it is under a weaker license than the LGPL.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org