Re: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:42:47 +0200

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

>  > It is not really the job of AUCTeX to turn latex into texi2dvi.
>
> I understand that, and that's not what I meant.
>
>  > If your directory organization is basically painful to deal with
>  > on the command line without starting a separate shell for each
>  > project, then it is to be expected that the situation will not
>  > get magically nicer within Emacs.
>
> I don't understand these points.
>
> - "painful organization"?  Heck, I'm sorry but if you encourage
>   non-self-contained-ness because of a long TeX tradition, I believe
>   you are wrong.  When people are working together with a version
>   control system, they insist on making the archive self-contained,
>   and relocatable.  According to your answer they seem to be unable to
>   use AUC-TeX.

AUCTeX is not better than anything else.  Your complaint is that
AUCTeX does not provide a different environment for each project all
in one Emacs session.

But no other tool or shell that I know of provides that.  So I don't
see how you are worse off with AUCTeX than with anything else.

> - In fact this problem is acknowledged by TeXperts themselves, see the
>   introduction of path mechanisms in Graphics: too bad there is no
>   equivalent for .sty etc.

I don't see it as a shortcoming as AUCTeX not to provide something
which is not generally available.  You try picturing this as a
shortcoming of AUCTeX, and I don't follow that.  Basically you are
asking for a feature that will make your project depend on AUCTeX in
order to work at all.  I don't see that this is a good idea.

> - What exactly do you mean on the additional shell invocation?

Separate project, separate environment variables.  Separate
environment variables require a separate shell.  Whether you are using
make, Emacs or bash.

>   The workaround you propose, I guess, does require this.  But if it
>   becomes a feature from AUC-TeX, no such shell is required, only
>   the env is changed.

The current project management of AUCTeX (like integrating make and
similar) is not such that I want to start integrating pseudofeatures
like local floating environments.  I can't see that this is _the_ way
to go, and it certainly does not make for portable projects since the
environment variables don't magically transfer to everybody else that
uses the files.