Re: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:25:45 +0200

>>> "David" == David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

 > It is not really the job of AUCTeX to turn latex into texi2dvi.

I understand that, and that's not what I meant.

 > If your directory organization is basically painful to deal with on
 > the command line without starting a separate shell for each
 > project, then it is to be expected that the situation will not get
 > magically nicer within Emacs.

I don't understand these points.

- "painful organization"?  Heck, I'm sorry but if you encourage
  non-self-contained-ness because of a long TeX tradition, I believe
  you are wrong.  When people are working together with a version
  control system, they insist on making the archive self-contained,
  and relocatable.  According to your answer they seem to be unable to
  use AUC-TeX.

- In fact this problem is acknowledged by TeXperts themselves, see the
  introduction of path mechanisms in Graphics: too bad there is no
  equivalent for .sty etc.

- What exactly do you mean on the additional shell invocation?
  The workaround you propose, I guess, does require this.  But if it
  becomes a feature from AUC-TeX, no such shell is required, only the
  env is changed.