Re: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TEXINPUTS as local variable
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:41:32 +0200

>>> "David" == David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

 >> Well, it turns out that AUC-TeX is different that what happens from
 >> most other situations: they use a Makefile in which these facts are
 >> encoded, while AUC-TeX bypasses the point of having a Makefile.

 > Well, then the right solution would seem to make AUCTeX better
 > interface with Makefiles, not add a complete new layer that you can
 > get to do all the stuff that _is_ already working.

Well, sure, that's another valid answer.  I might have overlooked it,
but it seemed harder to me, unless there are strict conditions over
the Makefiles.

 >> AUCTeX plays the role of an IDE here.

 > Not really.

Well, as a compile center, able to compile the master file instead of
the current buffer, it offers features that are closer to an IDE than
plain M-x compile.

 > Well, then we need a better interface into make.  Something like
 > doing make -n test.dvi and then parsing the output and massaging it
 > for working with a region file.

Seems tough to me :)

 > I don't see how AUCTeX environment variables would transfer to
 > non-AUCTeX users.

Well, sure.  But they use make, they don't have this problem :)

 >> But *because AUCTeX "bypasses the Makefile"* (which of course is
 >> definitely a good thing),

 > I am not convinced of that.

[...]

 > Then it would seem to be necessary to stop AUCTeX from losing
 > usefulness in connection with Makefiles.

The more I think about this, the more I find you're quite brave!