[AUCTeX] Re: a possible bug in auctex 11.84

From: Adam Johnson
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: a possible bug in auctex 11.84
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:27:58 -0600

> I defined an AUCTeX command, ReadPDF, to view my pdf using the Windows
> command "START" as follows:
>
> (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
>     '("ReadPDF" "start %s.pdf" TeX-run-command t nil))
>
> In AUCTeX, the command was translated as:
>    start "MyTest".pdf
>
> However, the START command can only work as:
>    start MyTest.pdf
> without the quatation marks.

Great.  Shells used on Unix-like systems can interpret such quotes
correctly.  A pity cmd.exe is not able to do that.  What you are
seeing is fallout from the feature allowing people to use file names
with spaces.

It is nice to use the feature allowing file names with spaces.

> How can I solve this problem?  Thanks.

We'll have to fix this in AUCTeX.  (I'm not sure if you could use a
different shell on Windows which is able to cope with such quotes.)

I solved the problem by further reading of the help of the command START:
   START ["title"] [...] [command/program] [parameters]

That is, the following command
   start "MyTest".pdf
will open a new shell window titled as "MyTest.pdf". That is, the quoted string was taken as the new shell window title.

A solution to cope with it can be:
   start "" "MyTest".pdf
which means "" (empty or something else might work) is the window title and "MyTest".pdf is the command/program.

I fixed my "ReadPDF" as following
   (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
       '("ReadPDF" \"\" "start %s.pdf" TeX-run-command t nil))
It works well.

--
Adam

Laugh, share and connect with Windows Live Messenger http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline