[AUCTeX] input encoding, unicode, multi-byte with tex

From: Ed C.
Subject: [AUCTeX] input encoding, unicode, multi-byte with tex
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:15:29 -0600

I have a lot of characters (glyphs?)like:

LONGĒ ANTEĀ quam sīve ego, sīve tū, nātī essēmus (Latin with macrons, in mule it is latin4) but I can't figure out how to make a pdf. Using:

\usepackage[latin4]{inputenc}

in the preamble generates a Latex error which I can't understand:

ERROR: Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined

--- TeX said ---
(inputenc)                in inputencoding `latin4'.

See the inputenc package Hdocumentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

Capital H <ret> in the *Message buffer doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks,

Ed