Re: [AUCTeX] input encoding, unicode, multi-byte with tex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] input encoding, unicode, multi-byte with tex
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:30:36 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ed C. (2008-04-03) writes:
>
>> I have a lot of characters (glyphs?)like:
>>
>> LONGĒ  ANTEĀ quam sīve ego, sīve tū, nātī essēmus (Latin with macrons,
>> in mule it is latin4) but I can't figure out how to make a pdf. Using:
>>
>> \usepackage[latin4]{inputenc}
>>
>> in the preamble generates a Latex error which I can't understand:
>>
>> ERROR: Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
>
> This looks like a parsing error by AUCTeX.

No, this looks like the buffer has not been saved with latin4 encoding.
Most likely unicode.  Might happen if you did not use
C-c RET usepackage RET
for specifying the usepackage line, or at least reparsed with C-c C-n
after manual entry.

Or if your Emacs version is too old.

In any case, it is only marginally an Emacs problem in that the saved
file does not appear to be in the right encoding, so LaTeX complains.