Re: [AUCTeX] input encoding, unicode, multi-byte with tex

From: Ed C.
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] input encoding, unicode, multi-byte with tex
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:32:39 -0600

Sent again because Reply to and Reply-to-all in Thunderbird seem to work differently on usenet and mailing lists:

Ralf Angeli wrote:
* David Kastrup (2008-04-03) writes:

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

* Ed C. (2008-04-03) writes:

ERROR: Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
This looks like a parsing error by AUCTeX.
No, this looks like the buffer has not been saved with latin4 encoding.

Perhaps, but with the statement above I was referring to the spurious
(inputenc)                in inputencoding `latin4'.
in the TeX Help buffer, not the actual error text you quoted.

Thanks, Ralf and David. I am using w32 Emacs 22.1 (from the bundled emacs+auctex binary)and MiKTeX 2.7. All my files (even .emacs) have this header:

;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
;;Time-stamp: "2008-02-27 19:52:43 Administrator"

but the text I inserted in myfirst.tex (from an xemacs example on the web) was copy-pasted from a utf-8 encoded file. After googling around a bit I tried adding 2 usepackage directives so that the file now starts:

\documentclass[11pt, a4paper]{article}
\pagestyle{empty}
\usepackage{ucs}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
\begin{center}
\Huge \bf  AQVA VĪTAE
\end{center}

and now I can get a pdf with macron'd vowels although I haven't tried to print it yet. My next step is to see if I can get something like Indesign's Booklet Maker (page imposition with 2 columns on landscape oriented page).

Thanks again,

Ed