Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption

From: Axel E. Retif
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Text corruption
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:17:14 -0600

Tassilo,

On 12/17/2012 05:48 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
"Axel E. Retif" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

With this new set up Emacs, right in front my eyes, capitalized a word
a few lines below where I was typing some text (undoing the typing one
step at a time suddenly un-capitalized the word),

That you can undo the change speaks against memory corruption, IMO.  And
that it happes only with Emacs, and then only in AUCTeX buffers, also
seems to imply some other problem.

I can't say it happens *only* with Emacs, and *only* in AUCTeX buffers, as I am fortunate enough *not* to have to use many other applications, and because my level of awareness is quite different when I'm working with AUCTeX ---that is, with PDF files that will go to print as I present them--- than with anything else.

When I was working on .doc files in which, with LibreOffice, I wrote marginal notes to the author, I don't recall this sort of text corruption. But then again my notes were intended just for the author, and they would be deleted before the final .doc files were sent to the InDesign typesetter; so, again, my awareness was just in what I had to say, not on possible typos on my notes.

[...]

If it was some memory corruption, I'd expect that you encounter strange
problems and crashes with more important applications, e.g., crashes of
X, kernel oops, etc.

I have frequent crashes of Firefox and Google Chrome (Aw, Snap!) with many pages with flash; that's why I use Opera ---it has *never* crashed.

Also, the Ubuntu Apport family of applications crash frequently ---quite ironic of we think about it!

But no other application ---no X.org that I recall, and definitively no kernel panics at all.

Here's a recipe you could try to check who is the culprit.

   1. Fire up emacs
[...]
   5. Wait, maybe scroll a bit or search around, but don't edit

The recipe achieves that if a read-only buffer (like your latex buffer)
gets modified, you are put into the debugger (a *Backtrace* buffer pops
up).  This buffer will show what function wants to modify the buffer
including its call stack.

Thank you! I will do this every day until something comes out and I will inform you!

Thank you very much!

Axel