Re: [AUCTeX] Japanese LaTeX classes not recognized

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Japanese LaTeX classes not recognized
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 17:57:03 +0100

jfbu <address@hidden> writes:

> I have no issue pasting the contents above in an existing .tex file,
> say to replace all its contents. But if I then type C-cC-n all
> font locking is done and I end up in Fundamental Mode.
>
> If I kill the buffer and reopen a new one from dired
> I get the
>
> File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument consp nil)

I saved this as testmendex.tex,

\documentclass{jsbook}
\begin{document}
if only I spoke Japanese!
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: japanese-latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

restarted Emacs, did `M-x dired RET', point on file, `RET' and I cannot
reproduce the error.

> I have not fiddled with auto-mode-alist (I don't paste it here
> it is long) and all I find related to it in my init file is
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.text\\'" . markdown-mode))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.markdown\\'" . markdown-mode))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.md\\'" . markdown-mode))

Ok, thanks for checking.

> here is the report from debug on error. Happens when typing Return
> on a selected temp.tex file with the above contents in a dired buffer
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument consp nil)
> byte-code("..."
> [japanese-TeX-command-list TeX-command-list TeX-expand-list
> ...] 8)
> japanese-latex-mode()

Thanks.  My last idea would be that you have touched one of the
variables mentioned in documentation as obsolete and AUCTeX gets upset
about it:

The former customize options japanese-TeX-command-default and
japanese-LaTeX-command-default are obsolete.  Use
japanese-TeX-engine-default instead.  If you need to customize the
executable file name such as ‘"latex"’, the options for them, or both,
customize TeX-engine-alist.

Also, the option japanese-TeX-command-list is considered as
semi-obsolete. It still functions as before, but in theory, it is not
required anymore in normal use.

Sorry if the answer is not satisfactory.

Best, Arash