[AUCTeX] How to modify TeX-view-program-selection

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: [AUCTeX] How to modify TeX-view-program-selection
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 13:24:44 +0200

Hi,

I suppose this question comes up often, but I couldn't find a solution.  I
wanted to try another PDF viewer for AUCTeX (zathura).  Since it's already in
TeX-view-program-list-builtin, I don't have to add it to TeX-view-program-list.
So I thought I just have to modify TeX-view-program-selection.

TeX-view-program-selection's original value is
(((output-dvi has-no-display-manager)
  "dvi2tty")
 ((output-dvi style-pstricks)
  "dvips and gv")
 (output-dvi "xdvi")
 (output-pdf "Evince")
 (output-html "xdg-open"))

If I do

(setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "zathura")))

then the value is

((output-pdf "zathura"))

which deletes all the other items.  I want to add to the list, not replace it
entirely.

So I tried

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
                         '(lambda ()
             (add-to-list 'TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "zathura")))
             ))

And now the value is

(((output-pdf "zathura"))
 ((output-dvi has-no-display-manager)
  "dvi2tty")
 ((output-dvi style-pstricks)
  "dvips and gv")
 (output-dvi "xdvi")
 (output-pdf "Evince")
 (output-html "xdg-open"))

And when I try to use the view command, I get

Cannot find "Evince" viewer.  Select another one in `TeX-view-program-selection'

I was under the impression that add-to-list is supposed to override the original
value, but that does not seem to happen.

I think I'm missing something obvious here.  How can I replace (output-pdf
"Evince")
without deleting all the other items on the list as well?

Thanks,
Greg