Re: [AUCTeX] How to modify TeX-view-program-selection

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to modify TeX-view-program-selection
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 23:54:32 +0200

Thanks for the suggestions.  Replacing "zathura" with "Zathura" helps, but also
removing the extra pair of parentheses around "((output-pdf "Zathura")):

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
'(lambda ()
  ;some other stuff
  (add-to-list 'TeX-view-program-selection '(output-pdf "Zathura"))
  ))

> There's no need to do this in LaTeX-mode-hook, it should be enough to have
> (add-to-list 'TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "Zathura")))

(with-eval-after-load 'tex
  (add-to-list 'TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "Zathura"))))

for reasons David mentioned.

> in your init file. Doing it in LaTeX-mode-hook means it's executed each
> time you open a LaTeX file, which is harmless but unnecessary.
>
> Note, though, that Zathura is defined in TeX-view-program-list-builtin as
> "Zathura" (note the capital Z), so that's what you need to put in
> TeX-view-program-selection. (I suspect that is the cause of your troubles.)

Yes.  Thanks for pointing it out.

> As for the entry for Evince in TeX-view-program-selection, I have no idea if
> that conflicts, but if you need to get rid of that, you could do:
>
> (setcdr (assq 'output-pdf TeX-view-program-selection) "Zathura")

This leads to an error:

Wrong type argument: listp, "Zathura"

The value of TeX-view-program-selection:

(((output-dvi has-no-display-manager)
  "dvi2tty")
 ((output-dvi style-pstricks)
  "dvips and gv")
 (output-dvi "xdvi")
 (output-pdf . "Zathura")
 (output-html "xdg-open"))

I guess the problem is the extra period.

> instead of the add-to-list invocation above. But I suspect that AUCTeX will
> simply use the first matching entry in TeX-view-program-selection, so the
> entry for Evince shouldn't cause problems.

OK, but now each time I C-c C-c, I get a prompt:

View command: zathura file.pdf

Is it possible to get rid of the prompt?  Or should I just use C-c C-v instead?