Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 17:57:09 -0400

I think your changes are mostly good, but the last sentence of your
text suggests a misunderstanding that gives some validity to his
position.  Also, it is stronger to simply say something
than to say that it is what the GNU Project thinks.

How about this version?

      That speech has the unfortunate problem of conflating the issues
      of software freedom and practical usability.  The absence of
      useful functionality, which in free software can be corrected by
      doing work, should not be equated to imposing restrictions on
      users.  See <a
      href="http://gnu.org/philosophy/imperfection-isnt-oppression.html";>this
      article</a> for more explanation.  Nonetheless the GNU Project
      urges developers to think about providing accessibility in the
      initial design of a new free program.

Curiously, a few days ago I was pressured hard at the RMLL by people
who advocated the confused idea.  They have even made an organization
called "freedom zero".  How sad -- since we could support their goal
if only they did not make this confusion the basis of their argument.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation