Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 19:01:42 +0200

Le 18/07/2014 à 04h32, Luca Saiu a écrit :
> Is it so important for you to redefine freedom #0?  Can't you say, for
> example, something like "Help me enjoy freedom #0 as well"?  You could
> still use the same domain name.

As I said, “freedom #0” here doesn’t redefine freedom #0, changing free
software definition and destroying its power, but instead *transpose*
the “freedom to use the software” on another layer, from the one of
right vs. oppression to ability/disability. So it’s more like a way to
promote accessibility in the context of the promotion of free
software. It’s like you say “help everybody enjoy freedom #0 as well”,
because like Samuel said, without ability to use a software, the fact it
is free is unfortunately useless, just as for any non localized,
undocumented or just bad written/designed software.

On 2014-07-18 at 07:23, Quiliro Ordóñez Baca wrote:
> Perhaps you are confusing freedom with capacity or functionality. It is
> true that freedom without capacity goes nowhere. But no one can ask for
> the right to be capable. Anyone can ask for the right to be free to get
> the capacity or to create the functionality.

Well, I take “freedom” in its the widest meaning: the ability to do what
one want without hurting others freedom. So then it *includes* technical
freedom (the capacity), social freedom (the liberty) and psychological
freedom (the will). Free software is about social freedom, “Liberté #0”
is about technical one, and it try to transpose free-software movement
vocabulary to anchors itself in the free software movement. But it’s not
a confusion, it’s a voluntary way to link the two movements, so that
each fight can enforce the other.