Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibau

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/ghm2013/Samuel_Thibault_Jean-Philippe_Mengual-Freedom_0_for_everybody_really_.text
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 03:05:35 +0200

Hello.

On 2014-07-13 at 23:57, Richard Stallman wrote:

> How about this version?
> [...]

Thanks.  I've just added it to audio-video, and to the GHM 2013 page as
well.

> Curiously, a few days ago I was pressured hard at the RMLL by people
> who advocated the confused idea.  They have even made an organization
> called "freedom zero".

It's unfortunate that there's disagreement about a fundamental
definition which, I agree, shouldn't be changed --- restricting freedom
#0 to such extent would make it essentially impossible to satisfy,
destroying the definition's explanatory power.  However...

> How sad -- since we could support their goal
> if only they did not make this confusion the basis of their argument.

...we *do* support their wider goal: they want free software, and they
want it to be accessible.  Linguistic questions aside I don't see any
problem in what they advocate in practice.  Personally I don't even see
any real philosophical difference; it's a difference in wording.

In case this discussion is over I'll drift off-topic one last time for a
reminder to everybody who's following this discussion and getting
interested: if you have accessibility questions about your GNU package,
write to accessibility at gnu dot org.  The list is underused but there
are competent people there, who can help you.  Surprisingly it doesn't
usually take a lot of work to make software accessible, especially if
you think of the issue early enough, as Richard has written as well.

Thanks,

--
Luca Saiu      http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon: http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon