Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:15:21 -0700

Mark D Roth <address@hidden> writes:

> So, here's my new proposal:

>   * autoconf's search path should be:
>       1. the current directory (i.e., $top_srcdir)
>       2. the directories specified in $AC_MACRO_PATH (if set)
>       3. the system-wide site macro directory (set at autoconf install time)

Please don't use top_srcdir exclusively.  I want to break up the
configure.in scripts for my packages into separate macros for each major
test to make it easier to maintain, and I don't want to clutter up the top
level of the distribution with all of them.  I think there was some
general agreement in the past on a subdirectory named "m4" or some similar
sort of thing that would be automatically searched by m4_include, whatever
it's called, and I'm strongly in favor of that.  That sounded great to me.

I know this can be simulated with AC_MACRO_PATH, but I think it would be
nicer if it were somehow built in.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>