Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Mark D. Roth
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:09:52 -0500

On Thu May 23 15:15 2002 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Mark D Roth <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > So, here's my new proposal:
>
> >   * autoconf's search path should be:
> >       1. the current directory (i.e., $top_srcdir)
> >       2. the directories specified in $AC_MACRO_PATH (if set)
> >       3. the system-wide site macro directory (set at autoconf install time)
>
> Please don't use top_srcdir exclusively.  I want to break up the
> configure.in scripts for my packages into separate macros for each major
> test to make it easier to maintain, and I don't want to clutter up the top
> level of the distribution with all of them.  I think there was some
> general agreement in the past on a subdirectory named "m4" or some similar
> sort of thing that would be automatically searched by m4_include, whatever
> it's called, and I'm strongly in favor of that.  That sounded great to me.

My thought was that this wasn't necessary, since you can read files in
subdirectories of any directory in the search path by specifying a
relative path.  For example, you could say `m4_include([m4/foo.m4])'
to read a file in the `m4' subdirectory.  This is analogous to
`#include <sys/time.h>' in C.

Is this sufficient, or would people prefer to add a specific
subdirectory to the search path?

--
Mark D. Roth <address@hidden>
http://www.feep.net/~roth/