Re: Site Macro Directory

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Site Macro Directory
Date: 24 May 2002 12:14:20 +0200

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark D Roth <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> In any event, I'll rename my proposed macro to AC_SITE_INCLUDE
Mark> to avoid confusion.

I'm really against AC_SITE_INCLUDE, as per the GCS, a package must be
self-contained (from the sources point of view).  Nevertheless,
autoreconf --install --symlink is to provide the same effect.  It just
bring your SITE macros into the src tree, via symlinks if required.

Mark> Actually, the more I think about the whole cache concept, the
Mark> less sense it makes to me.

Same here.  Please, note also that autom4te was built so that creating
aclocal.m4f is possible.  That's probably the cache you want.

Mark> Instead of a local cache, let's create a subdirectory called
Mark> `ac-package' that includes macros that the developer wants to
Mark> ship with the package.  These would be treated exactly the same
Mark> way as aclocal.m4, but would provide a way for the developer to
Mark> put different macros in different files.

Exactly.

Mark> Thanks for pointing this out; I didn't realize that aclocal did
Mark> that automatically.  As per my note above, I'll propose the
Mark> `ac-package' subdirectory instead.

At that time, the consensus was that the directory holding these files
is:

1. defaults to `.'
2. defaults to AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR if present
3. is the arg of AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR if specified.

Mark>   * autoconf will have an AC_SITE_INCLUDE macro that causes it
Mark> to read a specific file from the site macro directory.

This is really wrong, as there is no reason for all the sites to have
the same layout.