Re: checking for non-standard headers

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: checking for non-standard headers
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:24:35 +0200

Larry Siden wrote:
I want to check for non-standard headers, such as, pango/pango.h,
glib.h, and others.  AC_CHECK_HEADER seems to work only for standard
headers, i.e. headers that can be found in the standard include path.
How can I augment the include path for other headers?

The same way as it has been for the last years, via the fourth
argument of AC_CHECK_HEADER - do you develop new software with
ancient build tools like autoconf 2.13 ? That one did not have
it yet, and things had to use workarounds like assigning to
shell variables used in try-preprocess called by check-header.

For the record,
address@hidden LASi $ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.57

The info page for autoconf is called autoconf25.info.gz.
So I guess my sys is up-to-date w/ respect to autoconf.

Oh well, I know the situation all too well - the distro makers
are still back in the old days with trying to ship 2.13 as the
default. The `info autoconf` documenation will lead to the
2.13 one even that 2.57 is available in parallel. Recently
it seems that redhat has done the step to make 2.57 the default
on execution but documentation... on mandrake 9.1 you have to type
`info autoconf-2.5x` to get to the documentation. More weird
in this, there is a big warning message patched at the top of the
new autoconf-2.5x info screen which should better be patched to
the top of the `info autoconf` (aka 2.13) screen:

   -+-+-+-+- IMPORTANT, PLEASE NOTICE ===> this version is meant to
coexist with autoconf-2.13 (for backwards compatibility); to that end,
the various binaries are actually linked to a script which decides
which version to execute. It tries to be clever and will execute 2.5x if
`configure.ac' is present, or if `configure.in' contains AC_PREREQ and
the value's 3 first letters are stringwise greater than '2.1'. You can
also manually select it by providing the environment variable
WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5 set to `1' (use WANT_AUTOCONF_2_1 if you want the
2.13 version). But do not invoke directly autoconf-2.5x or other
sub-utilities with the -2.5x suffix.

just for the record,
;-)
-- guido                                  http://AC-Archive.sf.net