Re: No release for 2 years?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: No release for 2 years?
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:44:46 +0100

* Paul Eggert wrote on Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 06:07:43AM CET:
> Gary Kumfert <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is there going to be another release?  Soon?
>
> Yes, but there's no schedule.  Nobody has been appointed as a release
> manager.  There is no technology roadmap.  Volunteers for doing all
> this stuff would be welcome.

What are the technical requirements for the next Autoconf version?
IOW, which bugs _need_ to be fixed, which version requirements of other
software *really has* to be met before?

I cannot see any real requirements offhand.  I hold the necessity of
m4-2.0 for autoconf-2.60 to be a myth.  Is that correct?  If not, why?

All I can personally see are a few open issues, those that invariably
turn up all the time with less well supported systems/tools.