Re: Re: configure.ac, Makefile.am question

From: js_bach
Subject: Re: Re: configure.ac, Makefile.am question
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:07:22 +0200

First of all many thanks for numerous replies.

----- original Nachricht --------

> I have to agree with Bob here. There's only one reason for not
> distributing configure.ac and Makefile.am -- because you're trying to
> keep others from modifying your build system.

>From the very beginning, lies my intention in this point: As there are
features to correct and implement, I do not want to have any extra
headaches from the svn users like "Oh, i can't `make install` it here"
and then i have to troubleshoot that also, finding out that the
configure.ac/Makefile.ams
has/have been manipulated -wrongly-..

>You might as well simply
> withhold _all_ of the source code. The mindset is the same -- you simply
> don't want someone else messing with your code.

Well till i get things running, i dont want to get anyone fiddle around with
the build system, that's all. After that, i'd appreciate if anyone comes up
with a patch, change whatever it is. Help is always welcomed to give
and take.

> Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with this, I suppose, but let's
> not disguise our real intentions by attempting to make it appear like
> open source, when you don't want it to be. You either want the help of
> the open source community, or you don't. It's really that simple.
I use open-source products and support also open-source community.
So there is nothing for me to pretend, but i see that my lack of "autooling"
terminology made ppl understand me in an opposite way.

Autotools are great (but a bit unbendable :} ) , and again many thanks !
-Umut

Gratis: Jeden Monat 3 SMS versenden-
Mit freenetMail - Ihrer kostenlose E-Mail-Adresse
http://email.freenet.de/dienste/emailoffice/produktuebersicht/basic/sms/index.html?pid=6830