Re: Re: configure.ac, Makefile.am question

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Re: configure.ac, Makefile.am question
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:35:13 +0200

Hello,

* address@hidden wrote on Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 06:07:22PM CEST:

> >From the very beginning, lies my intention in this point: As there are
> features to correct and implement, I do not want to have any extra
> headaches from the svn users like "Oh, i can't `make install` it here"
> and then i have to troubleshoot that also, finding out that the
> configure.ac/Makefile.ams has/have been manipulated -wrongly-..

You might as well weight that with the case where the user knows better
than you or autotools; i.e., where your build system was not portable
enough for some reason.

Making dealing with newbie users easier is a good motivation, but doing
so at the cost of hurting users that actually know better is often not
worth it, at least in the long run.