Re: mailing list behavior

From: Peter O'Gorman
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:53:35 -0500

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Matej Tyc wrote:
>> I agree to the fact that it is smart. However, I suggest that people are
>> informed about this (maybe unusual) behaviour in their confirmation
>> letter. Can it be done?
>
> The confirmation message comes from Mailman and isn't configurable by
> the mailing list administrators.  In other words, no it can't.  At
> least not by the mailing list helpers.

It is configurable:

List-specific text prepended to new-subscriber welcome message:

Though the help for that item does say "This should just contain
mission-specific kinds of things, like etiquette policies or team
orientation, or that kind of thing."

> Also I can't resist stating that this isn't the unusual configuration.
> This is the normal way things have always been done.  If you are using
> other mailing lists that do things differently then they are they
> unusual ones.

I have to agree, only a very few of the lists that I am subscribed to
set the Reply-To header.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman