Re: How to specify srcdir?

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: How to specify srcdir?
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 10:47:41 +0000

Matej,

Some of us strongly prefer top-posting.  Others hate it.  When in
Rome...

(I think the answer is to have a new type of encapsulated email response
if one is not using "interspersed reply" - the client mail reader will
put the response where the reader prefers.  In this case I'll have my
mail client set up to show top-posting replies, and Ralf will set his to
show bottom-posted replies.)

There are several reasons for building outside of the source tree.

One is that cleanup is really easy.

Another is that if you want to build your code on multiple platforms you
can do this very easily, using a single NFS-mounted copy of the source.
Then from the top of the tree one can:

% mkdir A.`config.guess`
% cd A.`config.guess`
% ../configure
% make

There are probably more examples, but it is 0345 here and I should fall
asleep.