Re: Extracting configuration info from config.status

From: Barry Leslie
Subject: Re: Extracting configuration info from config.status
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:35:28 -0700

Thanks for the reply,

Yes the plug-in can be built as part of the tree but there are very good
reasons why it is nice to be able to build it out side of the tree as well.

The plug-in I am talking about is a MySQL storage engine so it is a bit more
than a normal application plug-in. The reason that the build settings are so
important is that debug flags can change the layout of shared data
structures which creates all kinds of greaf if they do not agree and is a
real bugger to try and debug until you discover the cause.

Barry

On 10/15/08 9:12 AM, "Joachim Worringen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Barry Leslie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I work on plug-ins for MySQL and building a plug-in out side of the MySQL
>> tree requires that you configure your build with the same compiler settings
>> as the MySQL build that you are targeting.
>
> If there's such a close dependency (which I find surprising - there are
> C API's like for shared libraries that only depend on matching 32- or
> 64-bit!), the better solution would be to have a location in the MySQL
> source tree where you can put your plugin code (as a subdirectory, here
> named "barry"). Then provide an option to MySQL's configure like
> "--with-plugin=barry". This should then configure your plugin from the
> MySQL configure script, and you can build it afterwards.
>
> Your current approach is very fragile, and I would not invest effort in
> it. Of course, my proposal requires changes in MySQL; but after all,
> it's open source...
>
>   Joachim

Barry Leslie

SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklung GmbH
Senior Software Engineer

Tel: (001) 250 595 4228
Fax: (001) 250 595 4233
Email: address@hidden
Web: www.PrimeBase.com

SNAP Innovation Softwareentwicklung GmbH, D-22765 Hamburg,
Max-Brauer-Allee 50, Germany
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 61066, Geschäftsführer: Ulrich Zimmer, Paul
McCullagh