Re: generating pc file

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: generating pc file
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:35:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Nick Bowler wrote:

However, is this really a problem in practice for anything but
installation directory variables?  All installation directory variables
are supposed to be overridable at make time, so they will all need
explicit overrides (at least all the ones you are intending to
substitute), and therefore they will all be fully expanded.

Regardless of what is supposed to be supported, make time overrides are not as reliable as settings from the configure script since it depends on the same overrides being applied each time that make is executed. Any variance will not be detected by make, and so already built build products won't be re-built and so they will be wrong. It is possible that make is executed several/many times during a build, and also at install time.

That is why I use configure and config.status substitutions to build the .pc file for my package. :-)

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn