Re: generating pc file

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: generating pc file
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:14:27 -0400 (EDT)

Bob Friesenhahn:
> Yes.  The only make-time override which has any business being used as
> part of a formal build process is DESTDIR used with 'make install'.
> Anything else is a hack. :-)

You may think so, but this capability is a clearly-documented promised
capability under the GNU standards.  And a lot of people support it.  I even
have a lot of crufty sed invocations in a shell script written specifically to
make this happen.

So either one of the following needs to happen:
1. The GNU standards need to be modified so that this is no longer the
expectation, and that configure-time is enough.  I'm *okay* with that kind of
change, but it needs to be actually changed, so that users know that this is no
longer a reasonable expectation.
2. If the GNU standards stay as-is, the autotools need to make this easy to do,
or many programs will continue to fail to do it correctly.

--- David A. Wheeler