automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] Can we require GNU make >= 3.81? (make memoization doe

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] Can we require GNU make >= 3.81? (make memoization doesn't work with GNU make 3.80)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 16:03:39 +0200

Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> I've just discovered that variable memoization, as we've carefully
> and laboriously implemented it:
>
>   <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-ng/2012-05/msg00067.html>
>   <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake-ng/2012-05/msg00076.html>
>
> does not work with GNU make 3.80 :-(
>
> Since GNU make 3.81 has been released by more than six years now, any
> objection against requiring it as the minimal supported version?  I'd

None here.

> rather not waste efforts on older versions used only by a vanishingly
> small percentage of the user base ...
>
> Note that sadly we can't require GNU make >= 3.82 (which would offer use
> the .ONESHELL feature) because Debian and Ubuntu still comes with GNU make
> 3.81 as the only version available through the package manager :-(

For an "NG" tool in its infancy (i.e., little-or-no user base),
requiring the nearly-2-year-old make-3.82 should not be a problem.
However, I admit to being surprised that even debian *unstable* is
still using 3.81.  You have to go to experimental to get 3.82.
So, yes, that means it is a problem.