automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] Can we require GNU make >= 3.81? (make memoization doe

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] Can we require GNU make >= 3.81? (make memoization doesn't work with GNU make 3.80)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 10:50:27 +0200

Le 20 mai 2012 à 15:11, Stefano Lattarini a écrit :

> Since GNU make 3.81 has been released by more than six years now, any
> objection against requiring it as the minimal supported version?  I'd
> rather not waste efforts on older versions used only by a vanishingly
> small percentage of the user base …

No objections from me, of course.  3.81 is widely available.

> Note that sadly we can't require GNU make >= 3.82 (which would offer use
> the .ONESHELL feature) because Debian and Ubuntu still comes with GNU make
> 3.81 as the only version available through the package manager :-(

Actually, if automake-ng were to require 3.82, it would certainly
help have 3.82 be more wide spread.  If you were to require 3.82,
then I would support you.  You can count on me to defend the
choice of ONESHELL too.

BTW, if we can't require it, then at least I'd like Automake-ng
to be compliant.  I would feel safer if the test-suite could
also be run under ONESHELL.  And if there are accommodations
to make to be compliant, then having an automake-ng option
for ONESHELL should not too expensive to pay.  And I'd be
quite happy to know what the impact one performances are
(including on Windows machines where fork is known to be
very expensive).