automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] Can we require GNU make >= 3.81? (make memoization doe

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] Can we require GNU make >= 3.81? (make memoization doesn't work with GNU make 3.80)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 09:49:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 20 May 2012, Jim Meyering wrote:

Note that sadly we can't require GNU make >= 3.82 (which would offer use
the .ONESHELL feature) because Debian and Ubuntu still comes with GNU make
3.81 as the only version available through the package manager :-(

For an "NG" tool in its infancy (i.e., little-or-no user base),
requiring the nearly-2-year-old make-3.82 should not be a problem.
However, I admit to being surprised that even debian *unstable* is
still using 3.81.  You have to go to experimental to get 3.82.
So, yes, that means it is a problem.

The logic used by Debian/Ubuntu for when to update package versions totally escapes me. Users of my own software suffer as a result.

If Automake-NG is going to require a particular 'make' tool then it should require the version which allows it to be all it can be. It should be a demonstration of what is possible. To me, this means that even the most recent version could be a viable requirement. Like the film "Field Of Dreams", build it and they will come.

In a couple of years when Automake-NG begins to penetrate the "market", it seems likely that even Debian will finally have updated its build tools.

I have always been a proponent of developing a GNU build framework which is installed in advance of the packages using it. GNU make is still lacking as a build tool, but GNU make 3.82 is already available for several years already and it is easy to install.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn