automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI 6/6] am: make function to canonicalize names

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI 6/6] am: make function to canonicalize names
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:43:38 +0200

On 05/25/2012 10:34 AM, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Le 25 mai 2012 à 10:17, Stefano Lattarini a écrit :
>
>> On 05/25/2012 08:58 AM, Akim Demaille wrote:
>>>
>>> Le 25 mai 2012 à 02:16, Stefano Lattarini a écrit :
>>>
>>> All this definitely calls for a $(translit) primitive in GNU Make.
>>> How about submitting one?
>>>
>> Do you mean a feature request for it?
>

> I meant, how about _you_ writing some C code :)  And submit
> the feature.

Urgh, actually I'm in the middle of an attempt to simplify make
variables handling in Automake-NG (basically leveraging on the fact
that GNU make supports '+=' natively), and that is turning out much
trickier that I had expected.  I have some patches that are good to
go IMHO (I'll post them soon), but even after they're applied I
fear we won't be able to proceed by small-steps-refactorings anymore:
a rewrite of Automake::Variables and Automake::VarDef is in order I
we want to do further progresses.

In light of that, and since so far our hacks with $(subst) are good
enough for our needs, I'd rather drop the ball on this FTM.

But in case I want to pick up the ball in the future: do you know
if there's a Git mirror of the GNU make CVS repository, or any plan
to convert the official repository to Git?  I staunchly refuse to
work with CVS/SVN these days ...

Regards,
  Stefano