Re: [avr-chat] off-topic?: resource URL's

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] off-topic?: resource URL's
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:57:12 -0700

Terry Karlson wrote:

Hello,

I've just begun checking out the avr-libc community and resources, and

Welcome!

have been somewhat confused as to some of the URL linking.  The old QA
person in me thought I should summarize and relay my experience.  Not
being clear to me in all cases as to where this should be sent, I just
posted it here.

(1) The homepage of avr-libc project (http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc)
links to savannah at http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc
("AVR C Runtime Library - Summary").  Is this the correct place to link
to?  It only links to the development mailing list, for example.

The avr-libc Project Page has many things about the whole avr-libc project: Bug Tracker, Task Manager, Patch Manager, Link to Home Page, Link to mailing lists, Download Area, News, Links to project members, etc.

In summary, the above is correct.

(2) If I happen to be starting at savannah's homepage
http://savannah.nongnu.org, and search for "avr-libc", I also get to the
"AVR C Runtime Library - Summary" as in (2) above, with the same concern.

Correct, for same reason.

(3) A few weeks ago, I had bookmarked a few links
(http: //www.avr1.org/*) to the avr-gcc-list info page and into the
archives.  Today, I found that these pages told me that the list had
moved to https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr.  When I go there, I
get the '"Super-Project" for AVR-related projects - Summary' page (null
umbrella project).  Clicking on "Mailing Lists" takes me to
https://savannah.nongnu.org/mail/?group=avr, which has links to avr-chat
and avr-gcc-list, the latter of which is finally what I wanted.  So, I
guess here I'm (a) idly wondering what is different about these pages
that calls for https, and

Got me. I don't know why you're getting https as opposed to http. I usually get the https whenever I'm logged into Savannah, which is basically all the time. :-) You'll have to ask the Savannah folks.

(b) wondering why, if they are the ones that contain links to the non-dev mailing lists, I don't seem to be directed there from the top (i.e. as in (1) & (2) above.)

Do you mean from the Savannah top?
When you search in Savannah, you are searching for Free/Open Source *projects*. They will search for project names, not mailing list names. The avr-gcc-list and avr-chat mailing lists were originally privately run. Recently, the owner of those lists, Jason Kyle, no longer wanted to host the lists so we got hosting from Savannah. Since these lists are not officially tied to any Savannah "Project", an "umbrella" project was created to host those lists.

HTH
Eric