Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:44:08 -0300

Hey,

One more thing - of course .zip files would have a built-in CRC, so the added
md5sum could be thrown out. That would simplify things greatly...

Here's some example XML I came up with:

<project>
    <name>AVR-powered Foomatic Fooinator</name>
    <copyright>Colin O'Flynn, 2005</copyright>
    <contact>address@hidden</contact>

    <description>
        Using the most advanced fooination technology,
        this project will fooinize everything within
        a 10m radius.
    </description>
</project>

<file>
    <filename type="ihex">input.hex</filename>

    <identifier>U1</identifier>

    <target>avr</target>
    <partnumber>atmega88</partnumber>
    <memtype>flash</memtype>

    <revision>2.1</revision>

    <compiletime>Tue Apr 19 10:20:15 ADT 2005</compiletime>
    <compiler>avr-gcc (GCC) 3.4.3</compiler>
</file>

<file>
    <filename type="lfuse">main.lfs</filename>

    <identifier>U1</identifier>

    <target>avr</target>
    <partnumber>atmega88</partnumber>
    <memtype>lfuse</memtype>

    <revision>2.1</revision>

    <compiletime>Tue Apr 19 10:20:15 ADT 2005</compiletime>
    <compiler>avr-gcc (GCC) 3.4.3</compiler>
</file>

 Everything in the <project> section would be pretty much optional, it isn't
used by the tools to program the device.

The <file> section contains the information the programmer needs, such as
filename, type, and what to program. The reason for the "target" option is
that for example you could call avrdude with the file and it would just latch
onto the avr part. So if you had an FPGA in there too you wouldn't need to
worry about the file for the FPGA being put in the AVR. As well there is an
identifier for cases where you might want to have two AVR's in there, and to
connect the fuse file with the proper .hex file.

As the format evolves I'm sure more tags will need to be added - such as the
overriding of a hex address tag. But if we can popularize it with the AVR
then perhaps it will move to other targets.

Also perhaps the extension should be .uep - Unified Embedded system
Programming file. The UEP extension isn't used at all AFAIK, which just makes
it a tad easier...

Any comments? I'm just kinda making up stuff as I go here...

Regards,

 -Colin