Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File

From: Geoffrey Wossum
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:13:58 -0500

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 20:04 +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> Cryptographic hashes (MD5, SHA1, MD160) are strong (but slow)
> algorithms to improve your degree of trust that nobody manipulated the
> files protected by them.
>
> Of course, as both are transfered within the same file, the value of
> the cryptographic hash is somewhat questionable.

You sign the md5sum with a public key to insure that the md5sum list was
really created by someone you trust, and that the md5sum file was not
tampered with.  GPG can handle creating and verifying the authentication
envelope, although I don't personally have experience with it.

I don't think hobbyists are THAT concerned about the security of their
files.  However, if ya'll intend this format to be used commercially, it
might be a good feature.  On the other hand, everyone I've dealt with
will happily flash anything you give them onto their hardware.

---
Geoffrey Wossum
Long Range Systems - http://www.pager.net