Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] RFC: Unified Microcontroller Programming File
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:41:27 -0300

> I don't think hobbyists are THAT concerned about the security of their
> files.  However, if ya'll intend this format to be used commercially, it
> might be a good feature.  On the other hand, everyone I've dealt with
> will happily flash anything you give them onto their hardware.

Perhaps have it as an option then still? So that if you want you can have a
verified source file, and you would have to setup your programmer to only
accept a file that has a trsuted source. This could have potention for
applications where the manufacture of a product wants to make sure only their
firmware is used with their product.

Though for now I wouldn't imagine it would be something to worry about. In
fact it could even just be part of the XML file I'd imagine, a PGP or similar
section for the hash.

Regards,

 -Colin