Re: [avr-chat] gnu-as: Error: invalid sections for operation on `ConfigD

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] gnu-as: Error: invalid sections for operation on `ConfigDescriptor' and `L0'
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 22:06:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Jörgen Birkler <address@hidden> wrote:

> But if a named it with capital S the file was deleted for some
> reason.  Thought that capital S meant that it was an intermiadiate
> file from gcc..?

If at all, then by the Makefile, not by GCC itself.  Just make sure
you don't have a C file by the same basename.

The important thing is how to pass it to the compiler on the compiler
command-line; capital .S will make the compiler pipe it through the C
preprocessor first, lower-case .s will pass it directly to the
assembler.

> The source code actually use the lwi instrucation to read from ROM,
> the problem occurs before that; the address to the ROM is stored in
> the Z register, that where the problems occur.

I think that `cast' in the GNU assembler (gas) is the "pm" operator.
Alas, the gas extensions for the AVR have never been documented by
their respective authors.  We tried to document those we know of in
the avr-libc FAQ.

Anyway, if I want to know how these things work, I usually write a
small demonstrational piece of C source code, feed it to the compiler
(using the -S option), and look at the generated assembler code.