Re: [avr-chat] JVM or Java compiler for AVR?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] JVM or Java compiler for AVR?
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 05:23:52 -0600

Adam Megacz wrote:

Hey, does anybody know of an open source JVM for the AVR, or some
other solution for running Java code on it?  Probably something like
Jump (a static java-to-binary compiler) is most likely.  I doubt that
gcj would work (no MMU, etc).

 - a

AFAIK, there isn't a JVM for the AVR, and I doubt there would be because of the limited resources of the AVR.

I did at one time investigate gcj because it can generate native code (no JVM needed). It looks like the biggest stumbling block in that route would be the library. It's not a trivial task. But if someone really wanted to do it, I think it could be done.

Eric