[avr-chat] AVRDUDE : fails to open // pport ?!

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: [avr-chat] AVRDUDE : fails to open // pport ?!
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:42:19 +0200

Hi all,

Just received my Atmel chip, build Brian's parallel port cable, and went
to try avrdude for the first time to see if my chip was alive ;o)

But avrdude won't start, it's having problem using hte parallel port it
seems, this is error I get :

"avrdude: can't claim device "/dev/parport0": Invalid argument"

On my system the parport device is /dev/lp0, so I made a symlink
 ("sudo ln -s /dev/lp0 /dev/parport0"), but still no joy. I ran avrdude
as root, but again no joy.
I looked in the manual where it says that on Linux platforms, avrdude
uses the "ppdev interface" to access the parport.
So I guess my linux distro doesn't have this installed by default, so I
need to add it.
But how to do that ? What is this "interface", is it a simple
package/library I can install eaily, or is a kernel driver that requires
recompilation ? Any guidance on where to get this ppdev and how to
install it, will be gratefully received indeed ! :-)

Regards,

--
Vince, probably only a split hair away from breathing life into his AVR
chip... :-)