Re: [avr-chat] avrora

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] avrora
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:37:04 +1000

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:04:00PM -0600, E. Weddington wrote:
> What is the problem with setting up "decent simulation" on a linux or
> Unix box? There's GDB/Insight + simulavr.

No direct avrora experience for me either, but on a recent browse
through the avrora site, I was disappointed to read that a simulation
runs invisibly by default. It appears necessary to become a java
programmer before any useful output can be elicited. e.g.:

"Monitoring Simulations in Avrora
Avrora allows users to add monitoring code to the simulation to report
on program quantities as it runs or to collect statistics and generate a
report once simulation is complete."

The combination of gdb and simulavr has worked well for me in the past,
but then I placed few demands on it. Once I grokked avr assembler, and
the hardware was up, it didn't seem to be needed any more. Different
levels of instrumentation of our application, controlled by compile
conditionals, was sufficient for debugging a multi-tasking app with a
bunch of ISRs, some fairly demanding peripherals, and a proprietary
protocol stack.

I'm just wondering what makes it worth learning to hack a heap of java? :-)

Erik