Re: [avr-chat] AVRDUDE : fails to open // pport ?!

From: Artur Lipowski
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVRDUDE : fails to open // pport ?!
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:10:21 +0200

Vincent Trouilliez <address@hidden> wrote:
>But how to do that ? What is this "interface", is it a simple
>package/library I can install eaily, or is a kernel driver that requires
>recompilation ? Any guidance on where to get this ppdev and how to
>install it, will be gratefully received indeed ! :-)

Bad news: you have to recompile kernel.
Good news: there is only needed one additional module.

When configuring kernel (through menuconfig or xconfig) You should mark for
building as module following item:
Device Drivers/Character devices/Support for user-space parallel port device
drivers

Then you should compile and install kernel and reboot.
After that the avrdude should work.

Regards,
--
Artur Lipowski