Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Crystals (was ATmega32 @ 16MHz : fuse bits ??)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:16:44 +0200

On 12 Nov 2005 at 7:19, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 10:46 -0500, Graham Davies wrote:
> > I hope this helps.  I don't think most people will have to worry
> > much about crystals.  I doubt that Vincent's problem was crystal
> > selection or the wrong load capacitors.
>

> That's annoying... because if my fuse bits are correct, and it's not
> the crystals or capacitors, then I can't see what it could be, and
> therefire have little hope to get it working :-/
>

> > I've mentioned this before, but if you just pin-out the
> > JTAG port and use a JTAG programmer you can mess with fuses to your
> > heart's content because the JTAG port has its own clock and works
> > fine when the main clock is screwed up.  *And* you get on-chip
> > debug, which might help Vincent with some of his problems.
>
> IIRC, the latest and shiniest release of Avrdude does support JTAG
> programming ? Does it also work with a cheap/DIY cable like SPI
> programming ??

You can use javr to program many of the JTAG capable AVRs using
a cheap ByteBlaster cable. javr is available from
http://home.telkomsa.net/antera
The download includes pre compiled versions for Windows as well as for cygwin.
The Windows version needs giveio.sys which comes with WinAVR.

It is easy to modify the source to support any of the parallel port dongle type
interfaces.

[Snipped]

Regards
  Anton Erasmus